I love spicy food. I once ordered a veggie burger at a restaurant that was piled high with jalapenos, roasted peppers and a mango habanero hot sauce that was so hot I actually cried through the entire meal. It remains, to this day, one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.
When we go to the grocery store, I long for the hot peppers that line the wall in the produce section. I find excuses to add red pepper flakes or cayenne to every savory recipe we try. And I love hot sauce, especially buffalo and sriracha. Nine out of ten times, if I heat falafel for a snack, I end up just dipping it in hot sauce rather than making it into a proper wrap or bowl.
Spicy food is amazing.
Especially when it includes cheese.
It’s no secret that ever since we tried Three Girls Vegan Creamery’s mozzarella pearls, I’ve been obsessed. O b s e s s e d. I want to eat it all the time, which is… impractical, but also awesome. I haven’t really craved cheese since the first weeks of being vegan, when it was still something I missed, and I haven’t ever craved a vegan cheese like this before! Luckily, since this cheese has such a creamy, perfect texture and flavor, I’ve had no problem finding food pairings for it.
This week, I discovered a new fave: buffalo cauliflower flatbread. Yes.
This recipe is reminiscent of buffalo chicken pizza or quesadillas. The cauliflower is roasted to crispy perfection and then tossed with buffalo sauce to make it spicy, savory, and delicious as a base for the flatbread. The mozzarella melts between the nooks and crannies to balance out the heat and add smooth, creamy flavor. It’s amazing.
It also requires minimal prep time, which makes it a quick favorite in my home.
This recipe is super easy and ready in under an hour. It requires just a few ingredients and can be served as a main course or a snack! We had it for brunch just this morning. It’s delicious, spicy, and perfectly filling. It’s especially great for cold, wintry days when all you want to eat is hearty, warm food.
We’ve also made this recipe using vegan chicken, but wanted to try a slightly healthier, less processed version. Hence, cauliflower. Cauliflower is an excellent substitute for chicken because of its texture and flavor, and how nicely it takes on other flavors to act as a quiet but delicious centerpiece in a meal.
I highly recommend this as a personal snack, a meal for two, or even a larger scale prep for a party or small get together! You can easily increase the recipe, or tweak it for personal preference.
Buffalo Cauliflower Flatbread with Vegan Mozzarella
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 a small head of cauliflower
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp vegan buffalo sauce, to taste
- 2-4 Three Girls Vegan Mozzarella ‘di bufala’ Pearls
- 2 medium flour tortillas
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- While the oven preheats, finely chop the cauliflower. Toss the pieces with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast flakes. Then spread them in a thin, single layer on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake at 450°F for 25-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is golden brown on the edges and crispy.
- Add baked cauliflower and vegan buffalo sauce to a bowl and toss together until coated. Feel free to add more buffalo sauce if you like — the spice and heat come from it! Don’t be afraid to embrace your inner buffalo addict.
- On a clean baking sheet, lay out flour tortillas and spread buffalo cauliflower on each, as evenly split between the two tortillas as possible. Next, shred the mozzarella pearls with your fingers and use 1-2 per tortilla. You can also add more if you want extra, extra cheese!
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!